Sunday 14 August 2011

Dear Mrs. Visvanathan


Day 6- 14th August, 2011

You know, it’s true when people say “Death is the greatest mystery”. I often think about what happens after one has left this world for a better place. It’s freaky, the thought; it gives me the chills. If I let my imaginations run wild, I won’t be able to sleep at night. And to add to it, I’m always the one to switch off the lights at night, and trust me, those 90 seconds I take to travel the distance between the switch and my bed is when I am at my athletic best.

I have to face it one day; it’s inevitable. Besides, we aren’t doing anyone a favor by being sad and mourning for those who aren’t anymore. I know you must be thinking it’s easy for me to say this, but I know it’s hard, very difficult in fact. However it’s a part of life. Somehow, I like the culture over here, in Chennai. When someone passes away, they dance and celebrate while taking the body to the crematorium. The reason- to ensure the soul leaves this world with peace and love and doesn’t have inhibitions. It was a little odd in the beginning, when I came here from Mumbai. The thought was revolting too, but then I realized how it makes so much more sense. Other than that, people here don’t believe in wearing White clothes while giving condolences to the family members. They find it pointless to do that, and I agree.

After all, “Life is made up of years that mean nothing and moments that mean everything.”

Rest In Peace, Mrs.Visvanthan.

2 comments:

  1. I beg to differ- certain societies still do strongly believe in wearing only white clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm aware. I did not mean it in general; I just wanted to show the difference between what I had experienced back in Mumbai..

    ReplyDelete